[whatwg] Full Screen API Feedback

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu May 12 00:31:22 PDT 2011

On 5/12/11 3:24 AM, Jer Noble wrote:
> A) If an author calls requestFullScreen(), at some point in the future they will receive either a "fullscreenchanged" event or a "fullscreendenied" event.
> B) If an author calls requestFullScreen(), at some point in the future they may receive a "fullscreenchanged" event, or not.
>
> I'd argue that A) is easier to grasp.

(A) is easier to grasp incorrectly to.  In practice, "at some point in
the future" means "maybe you'll get it, or maybe you won't", because for
any finite time period the future may not have arrived yet.

(B) just makes that explicit so authors don't get confused.

>> I don't necessarily agree with that part of the geolocation API :-).
>
> Fair enough.  But it is an API in relatively wide use now.  Have authors complained that the timing of the error handler is too confusing?

Yes.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5947637/function-fail-never-called-not-if-user-declines-to-share-geolocation-in-firefox
for example (where the author misunderstood the difference between
"denied" and "hasn't decided yet").

> True, without the "fullscreendenied" event, authors will be forced to "pre-fallback" to a full-window mode.  But with the "fullscreendenied" event, they can decide whether to do that, or a more traditional post-denial full-window mode.

And what do they do for the arbitrarily long time before getting any
event at all?

-Boris