[whatwg] Reserved browsing context names

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri May 13 13:46:49 PDT 2011

On Fri, 13 May 2011, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 5/13/11 3:45 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > If the links open by default in the main content area, there's no need to
> > have an explicit way to do this, I guess. So I haven't added a term for
> > this.
>
> Note that the "by default open in the main content area" thing is not
> spec-compliant at the moment, as far as I can tell.  That behavior is
> just not allowed by the spec.

The sum total of what the spec has to say on the matter is "User agents
may support secondary browsing contexts, which are browsing contexts that
form part of the user agent's interface, apart from the main content
area"; I think it's perfectly reasonable for a user agent that implements
such a thing to have an applicable specification that defines specific
behaviour for its secondary browsing contexts that open links wherever
they want.

> In addition, there is existing deployed content using the special names
> to target the main content area which would break if the special-casing
> of those names were removed....  so I doubt it'll be removed.

Ah, interesting. Do you have any links to such documents so I could study
them? What do these links do in other browsers?