[whatwg] <video> ... <script> race condition

David Singer singer at apple.com
Fri May 13 15:05:16 PDT 2011

On May 13, 2011, at 4:35 , Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> I wasn't asking how to work around the problem once you know it exists, I was wondering if any browser vendors have done anything to make this problem less likely to happen on pages like http://html5demos.com/video that don't do the right thing?

I am not sure what there is to do.  This is pretty much the same as setting a 7am alarm call, after 7am, after all.

The only thing I can think of is a general change to HTML, and it's pretty major, to do away with "delta function" events, and instead have handlers triggered by changes in state.  Then, you ask "tell me when state X becomes true" instead of "tell me when X happens", and the system can say "it already is true, dummy" when you register the event.

This is not a ... small ... change to HTML.  And the problem is not unique to video.

David Singer