Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Wed May 18 11:09:13 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> This is an excellent point but I feel that this is something editor
> frameworks such as TinyMCE and CKEditor should provide.  I'd rather provide
> APIs that let framework easily implement those two modes than adding
> mediocre support in browser.  e.g. being to intercept editing commands such
> as InsertParagraph or Italic and insert an element of choice.

If I finish speccing everything contenteditable-related that already
exists and have time left over, I plan to consider what new features
might make sense to add.  In particular, some of the algorithms used
by the spec might be useful to expose as primitives to authors
somehow, to help them build their own algorithms.  I'm dubious about
whether there's any useful way to hook into commands like "italic",
though, other than a low-level API that's too hard to use if you don't
care much about the results and too inflexible if you do.