[whatwg] Full Screen API Feedback

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Fri May 20 12:01:46 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
> About video in particular, why would we not want video to be keyboard
> accessible in full-screen? I very often pause/unpause and seek using the
> keyboard when using standalone video players, and I'd like to do the same in
> the browser as well.

The proposed spec allows the following keys to be used:

DOM_VK_CANCEL to DOM_VK_CAPS_LOCK, inclusive
DOM_VK_SPACE to DOM_VK_DELETE, inclusive
DOM_VK_SEMICOLON to DOM_VK_EQUALS, inclusive
DOM_VK_MULTIPLY to DOM_VK_META, inclusive

As long as no alphanumeric keys are allowed, it should be safe enough
against spoofing.  That should be enough for things like video
playing, but not for more complicated games.  You might have to use
different key bindings than you're used to, but that should be okay.

> Do you think we should have different permission levels in full-screen which
> come with different levels of user prompting?

It seems like the most plausible solution.  I'm pretty sure only a
very limited category of applications would really need alphanumeric
keys, so if it's awkward to get at that, maybe it's okay.

> I don't think a persistent overlay is acceptable for either games or video
> and keyboard input is needed for both. (No, I don't think it's acceptable to
> require a mouse for video.)

Agreed.