[whatwg] Proposal for separating script downloads and execution

Steve Souders steve at souders.org
Tue May 24 16:12:47 PDT 2011

In many (all?) cases below the term "execution" is meant to include
parsing and compilation. I know that's what Nicholas and Kyle have in
mind, and is the motivation behind Gmail's comment hack and my ControlJS
library.

If browsers processed (parsed & compiled) scripts in a background thread
it would mitigate the problem, but not solve it. Suppose I have 100K of
JS I need right now to generate the DOM for the initial page, and I have
another 500K of JS that's only needed if the user clicks on FeatureX.
Assuming there's only one background thread, I want to prioritize the
first 100K of JS on that thread, and not have it blocked by the
unnecessary processing of the second script. Also, I only want to do the
processing on the second script if the user activates the feature. This
is important on mobile now to reduce power consumption but is also
important on desktops as CPUs become more power sensitive and JS
payloads grow.

-Steve