[whatwg] Fullscreen CSS

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Nov 14 15:10:09 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think we should go the route that the <dialog> element did in Ted's
> change proposal and have a pseudo-element that gets created when an
> element is fullscreened.  Simple and easy, and trivial for the author
> to manipulate to get most effects they could want.

Interesting. I did not know about that.

That proposal requires layout engine changes --- specially, at least one
new rule for CSS stacking contexts in the infamous "appendix E". Also, it
doesn't address situations where an ancestor of the <dialog> or fullscreen
element has 'opacity', 'transform', 'filter', 'mask' or 'clip-path' (and
maybe other things I've forgotten).

I think we should probably define a unified mechanism that can be used for
the fullscreen element and the <dialog> element and anything else like it
we need. And figure out what happens if you make part of a page fullscreen
and that uses <dialog>. Or if you have nested <dialog>s mixed with
fullscreen... Hmm.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us