[whatwg] Drag-and-drop folders/files support with directory structure using DirectoryEntry

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Tue Nov 15 18:06:40 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Kinuko Yasuda <kinuko at chromium.org> wrote:

> The async nature of DirectoryEntry makes the code longer,
> but webapps can work on the files incrementally and can show
> progress UI while enumerating.  For the apps that may deal with
> potentially huge folders providing such a scalable (but slightly
> more cumbersome) way sounds reasonable to me.

Entry (and subclasses) should also be supported by structured clone.  That
would allow passing a DirectoryEntry received from file inputs to be passed
to a worker.  This is something for later, of course, but combined with an
API to convert between Entry and EntrySync (and DE/DESync), this would
allow using the much more convenient sync API in a worker, even if the only
way to retrieve the Entry in the first place is in the UI thread.

I think this is a better solution to the inconvenience of async APIs than
falling back to exposing unscalable sync interfaces in the main thread.
This is one of the reasons we have workers.

--
Glenn Maynard