[whatwg] I have feature requests for <video> and <audio> tags.

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Thu Nov 17 12:29:36 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn at zewt.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:06 PM, crocket <crockabiscuit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For 1), most users don't know there is such a thing as user's default
>> volume.
>> Even I don't know where to find that setting in firefox or chrome.
>> It seems to be a hidden configuration.
>>
>> Plus, some audio files are too loud at 100% which is the default volume for
>> most users.
>> Since uploaders know the proper initial volume, they should be able to set
>> the initial volume even without javascript.
>>

> Authors don't know how loud users want content to be.  If UI isn't
> discoverable enough, the solution isn't to make every single author try to
> work around it individually by overriding user settings.

Authors do however know how loud the volume of the media is though. If
a video is encoded with a very loud volume, or a very quiet volume, it
can be quite useful to be able to adjust that up or down when linking
to it.

To some extent the same is true for video brightness. It's not rare to
see images or video clips encoded too dark and you wish that you could
adjust the brigtness of the video up. Note that turning up the screen
bringness is not a great solution since as soon as you stop looking at
the image the user will turn down the brightness again which means
that the next time he/she views the image they'll have to go through
the same dance.

/ Jonas