[whatwg] Declarative Inert DOM (e.g. the <template> element)

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 12:50:27 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw at chromium.org> wrote:
> For parsing, the template element's contents are treated as HTML, but
> aren't subjected to normalization or placement/lifting rules.

For the placement/lifting rules, we can ride on the coattails of the
innerHTML parsing discussion, which wants to add a "null context"
parsing mode to the HTML parser.

What's the reasoning for not doing attribute normalization?  By that I
assume you mean translating boolean attributes into having their name
as their value?

> Big question: by what mechanism are these elements inert?

I like Adam's suggestion of a new document without a browsing context.
 You can still move the elements into the active document and have
them "just work", and all the other issues are taken care of "for
free".

~TJ