[whatwg] Drag-and-drop folders/files support with directory structure using DirectoryEntry

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Fri Nov 18 14:37:47 PST 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:36 AM, Kinuko Yasuda <kinuko at chromium.org> wrote:

> I would say the approach has a bloating per-page bookkeeping problem but
> not a 'leak'.

It's a reference leak: an object which remains referenced after it's no
longer needed.  I'm not aware of anything standardized in the platform with
this problem.  Also, a lot of toURL use cases would simply not work with
drag-and-dropped files (being able to modify the URL to access neighboring
files; storing the URL for access in a future session).

Anyway, do you still agree that having Entry structured clonable is a good
idea?  I'm only really worried about toURL if it causes structured cloning
of Entry to not happen, since I think the latter is a much more solid and
useful approach, and more consistent with what we already have.
(Half-solutions make me nervous, because they have a tendency to delay full
solutions.)

--
Glenn Maynard