[whatwg] @font-face rules in <style scoped>

Roland Steiner rolandsteiner at chromium.org
Mon Nov 21 20:12:12 PST 2011

I'm implementing <style scope> for WebKit at the moment, so please allow me
to add my take to some of the issues raised (although I certainly don't
claim to be an authoritative source of insight! ^_-). Comments inline:

How to best implement scoped @font-face is indeed an issue I'm facing at
the moment. @keyframes is another.

> I don't even
> want to discuss scoping CSS Variables at this time...

With the new variables proposal, scoped variables shouldn't be an issue at
all.

How can
> we access the list of stylesheets - including scoped ones - affecting
> a given element?

If that becomes necessary, it probably would require a new interface, e.g.,
document.styleSheetsForElement(<element>).

> How is "scoped" reflected in the CSS OM?

I'm not very familiar with CSS OM, but my guess would be: not at all, as
the contents of the style-sheet are not affected per se.

Are scoped
> stylesheets visible from document.styleSheets?

Yes (why not?).

What's the precise mechanism for the resolution of styles ? Does
> a scoped style "override" a global one that is set "deeper" in
> the subtree ?

> (I've always said that scoping should imply a specificity increased
>  by an ID selector's specificity, and that's why I still think the
>  p above should be black ; I know others have expressed a different
>  opinion)

I disagree! Apart from the changes selector matching behavior, why should
complexity, and be rather arbitrary IMHO (why add an ID specificity and
not, say, class specificity? why not make the rules "!important" instead?).

If you want to add such a mechanism, I'd rather suggest to add it
orthogonally to <style scoped>, e.g., via an additional attribute:

Cheers,

- Roland

Seen from the CSS WG, the way the scoped attribute works is totally