[whatwg] API design restrictions due to barewords in onxxx="" attributes

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Sat Nov 26 12:42:19 PST 2011

On 11/26/11 1:03 AM, Yehuda Katz wrote:
> Honestly, before this discussion, I would have been surprised to hear
> that this works at all. It also seems to me that the group of people who
> know how to add an expando and the group of people who use onxxx= is
> pretty small to begin with.

This isn't about people doing it on purpose.  It's about people doing it
by accident via copy/paste programming, which is the common case of
using barewords in on* attributes to start with: people who do it have
no idea _why_ that code works, just that they copied it from somewhere
and that it works.

-Boris