[whatwg] Fullscreen CSS

João Eiras joaoe at opera.com
Mon Nov 28 11:19:33 PST 2011

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 00:10:09 +0100, Robert O'Callahan
<robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Tab Atkins Jr.
> <jackalmage at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I think we should go the route that the <dialog> element did in Ted's
>> change proposal and have a pseudo-element that gets created when an
>> element is fullscreened.  Simple and easy, and trivial for the author
>> to manipulate to get most effects they could want.
>>

> Interesting. I did not know about that.
>
> That proposal requires layout engine changes --- specially, at least one
> new rule for CSS stacking contexts in the infamous "appendix E". Also, it
> doesn't address situations where an ancestor of the <dialog> or
> fullscreen
> element has 'opacity', 'transform', 'filter', 'mask' or 'clip-path' (and
> maybe other things I've forgotten).
>
> I think we should probably define a unified mechanism that can be used
> for
> the fullscreen element and the <dialog> element and anything else like it
> we need. And figure out what happens if you make part of a page
> fullscreen
> and that uses <dialog>. Or if you have nested <dialog>s mixed with
> fullscreen... Hmm.

This proposal seems like will make fullscreen styling non-transparent and
non-trivial.

Currently the elements are just resized and that very easy to implement,
understand and workaround with CSS.

How would that affect, for instance, a canvas element that is resized to
fit the whole screen ?