[whatwg] Default encoding to UTF-8?

Mark Callow callow_mark at hicorp.co.jp
Wed Nov 30 21:37:42 PST 2011

On 01/12/2011 11:29, L. David Baron wrote:
> The default varies by localization (and within that potentially by
> platform), and unfortunately that variation does matter.
In my experience this is what causes most of the breakage. It leads
people to create pages that do not specify the charset encoding. The
page works fine in the creator's locale but shows mojibake (garbage
characters) for anyone in a different locale.

If the default was ASCII everywhere then all authors would see mojibake,
unless it really was an ASCII-only page, which would force them to set
the charset encoding correctly.

Regards

    -Mark