[whatwg] Question about the bookmark in the adoption agency algorithm

David Flanagan dflanagan at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 6 22:14:22 PDT 2011

I'm trying to implement the HTML parser's adoption agency algorithm and
am puzzled by this step:
> Let a bookmark note the position of the formatting element in the list
> of active formatting elements
> <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/parsing.html#list-of-active-formatting-elements>
> relative to the elements on either side of it in the list.
The metaphor of a bookmark is such that it marks a position between two
pages (or list elements in this case), and I'm having trouble with the
phrase "the elements on either side of it": I don't understand how this
bookmark can mark the position of one element relative to both the
element before and the element after.  That would require two
bookmarks!  My guess, from the other steps that involve the bookmark is
that it is supposed to mark the position after the formatting element,
but I'm hoping that someone can confirm that for me.

The second time the bookmark is mentioned it is to be moved "
immediately after the new node".  This is a bookmark position that I can
understand. And the final time the bookmark is mentioned, it is to "
insert the new element into the list...at the position of the
aforementioned bookmark." Like a cursor in text, a bookmark works as an
insertion position, so I get this part.

I think that the first mention of the bookmark in the spec should be
clarified so that it is clear whether the bookmark marks the position
before the formatting element or the position after the formatting element.

Finally, I assume that the reason this algorithm uses a bookmark
metaphor in the first place is that simply storing a numeric index into
the list is not sufficient--that intervening insertions or deletions
would make maintaining that index overly complicated.  I'm guessing,
therefore that the most straightforward implemenation of the algorithm
is to actually insert a special-purpose bookmark object onto the list
(like the scope markers in the stack).  Anyone who has implemented it
care to comment?

Thanks!

     David