[whatwg] Geographic hyperlinks

Matthew Slyman whatwg at aaabit.com
Mon Oct 10 07:27:53 PDT 2011

http://forums.whatwg.org/bb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4725
[Topic has been on forum for 2 weeks without reply. Now posting to
mailing list.]
--

Hyperlinks for geographic coordinates are a mess. Designers of web
applications are being forced to design their own solutions to make

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Geographical_coordinates

http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?pagename=London&params=51_30_26_N_0_7_39_W_type:city(7825200)_region:GB

There's a relatively simple solution to all of this that could easily
be upgraded over time. We already have "mailto:" hyperlinks, for
example, that accept certain fields and map those to certain
parameters within a user-definable (or system-specific) mail client
application.

The same could be done for geographic data. The user might install
certain geographic information systems on their viewing device,
specify their favourite for "geo:" links, and then when they follow a
hyperlink with geographic content, any relevant information fields
present might be transferred over to the geographic information system
(GIS) as coordinates.

I suggest for the HTML standards people to simply talk to Wikipedia or
Google and copy their system, as a starting-point for discussion at
least. Maybe their format could be tidied up slightly, but generally I
think they've done a good job and that their work should be adopted as
a standard, so that you don't end up seeing pages with dozens of
hyperlinks (one for each GIS) as we do on Wikipedia.

--
Matthew Slyman, M.A. Computer Science (Camb)