[whatwg] SRT research: timestamps

David Singer singer at apple.com
Wed Oct 5 16:43:12 PDT 2011

On Oct 5, 2011, at 16:36 , Glenn Maynard wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 7:17 PM, David Singer <singer at apple.com> wrote:
> which rather raises the question of how many people will write comma instead of dot in VTT, given a european view or SRT habits.
>
> If the files don't work in VTT in any major implementation, then probably not many.  It's the fault of overly-lenient parsers that these things happen in the first place.

I rather expect that there may be people tempted to write an implementation that will ingest SRT and VTT, and unify their parsing to cope with either. "Be strict with what you produce, and liberal with what you accept" is a maxim for at least some people, also.  And being strict with HTML (I seem to recall that one of the features of XHTML was that nothing was supposed to show when documents had errors) didn't get a lot of traction, either.

David Singer