[whatwg] [fullscreen] cancelFullScreen()

Chris Pearce cpearce at mozilla.com
Wed Oct 12 19:26:20 PDT 2011

On 12/10/2011 10:35 p.m., Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Is cancelFullScreen() synchronous or should it queue a task?

Synchronous, so that Document.fullScreen immediately reflects the state
change? Why would it need to be asynchronous?

> If you invoke cancelFullScreen() on a Document of a parent or child
> browsing context from the browsing context in whose Document
> requestFullScreen() was invoked it should presumably still work, no?

The parent of a Document which is in full-screen will also be in
full-screen mode. So if cancelFullScreen() is invoked in the parent
Document, it should exit full-screen in the parent. I interpreted the
spec to mean if one full-screen document cancels full-screen, all
documents in the tree exit full-screen mode.

I too have been wondering if we should honour calls to
cancelFullScreen() in a non-full-screen child Document of the Document
which requested full-screen.

> Presumably also if the Document has been navigated away from.

FWIW we're planing to exit full-screen when a full-screen document is
navigated. Probably a good idea to spec this so it's consistently
implemented.

Chris Pearce.