[whatwg] Suggestion for HTML5 context menus

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Oct 25 17:32:10 PDT 2011

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011, Eric Sh. wrote:

> What does "Implementation experience" mean?
> Does it mean that we have to wait until the <menu type="context"> is
> implemented in more browsers before any changes like this can be made to it?

Kind of.

The idea is to wait to see how authors use a feature before extending it,
so that we can see what authors actually ask for.

In this particular case, what would be of interest is e.g. the following:

 - Amongst authors who primarily target the set of UAs that implement the
   context menu feature, do they actually use it, or do they continue to
   avoid it? If the latter, is it because of the lack of a way to hide the
   UA features?

 - Do authors file bugs or send spec feedback asking for the UA menu to be
   disabled, once they start using this feature?

 - Do UAs feel pressured to hide the UA menu based on author or use
   feedback once pages using this feature are widespread?

 - In browsers that do support an experimental extension to disable the
   ability to show the UA menu, do authors take advantage of it?

 - In browsers that hide the UA menu, do users get confused when they
   can't get to it? Do those UAs feel pressured to show the UA menu
   because of this?

In general, there's also the need to not add features so fast that the
feature set in different browsers is completely different due to them each
implementing their own subset of the spec. This is one reason to keep the
spec growth slow.

HTH,