[whatwg] New attributes would degrade better than new elements

Jukka K. Korpela jkorpela at cs.tut.fi
Wed Oct 26 14:36:23 PDT 2011

26.10.2011 23:16, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Believe me, these discussions were had in the past.

I do, but did you draw the conclusions?

> All major UAs except old IE handle unknown elements in a way that's
> acceptable

That means all browsers except that the most common one. Is that a
realistic view?

What do you expect to gain by adding new elements, as opposite to the
smoother addition of new attributes?

> So, it's not a big deal.

It's difference between working on all browsers and working on some
browsers as well as being tweakable when JavaScript is enabled.

Under which circumstances would you vote for the latter, and what do you
expect to win? I love gambling, but what's the potential gain here?
Pleasing someone's idea of "semantic markup", as if attributes could not
be semantic?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/