[whatwg] Signed XHTML

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Thu Oct 27 04:29:41 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Martin Boßlet
<martin.bosslet at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Are there plans in this direction? Would functionality like this have a
> chance to be considered for the standard?

The chances are extremely slim.

XML signatures depend on XML canonicalization which is notoriously
difficult to implement correctly and suffers from interop problems
because unmatched sets of bugs in the canonicalization phase make
signature verification fail. I think browser vendors would be
reasonable if they resisted making XML signatures of canonicalization
part of the platform.

Moreover, most of the Web is HTML, so enthusiasm for XHTML-only
features is likely very low these days.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi