[whatwg] DOMTokenList methods would be more useful with a space separated token list

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Fri Oct 28 08:52:27 PDT 2011

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:58:01 +0200, David Håsäther <hasather at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It would be more useful if the DOMTokenList methods (contains, add,
> remove, toggle) would take a space separated list of tokens. This is
> the behavior most DOM libraries have when dealing with class names.
>
> So, when setting two classes, instead of
>
>   ele.classList.add("hey");
>   ele.classList.add("ho");
>
> you could do
>
>     ele.classList.add("hey ho");
>
> Currently, the latter results in an INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR.
>
> The behavior of all methods should be obvious I guess.

+1, but what should toggle return?

toggle("a") returns true if "a" was added, which is equivalent to
!contains("a") on the initial string or contains("a") on the final string.
For toggle("a b"), !contains("a b") on the initial string may not be the
same as contains("a b") on the final string, so which should it be? Put
simpler, should it return true if any token is added or if all tokens are
added?

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer