[whatwg] Fullscreen Update

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Sat Oct 29 02:47:25 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:57 PM, James Graham <jgraham at opera.com> wrote:

>  Is that an acceptable limitation? Alternatively we could postpone the
>> nested fullscreen scenario for now (i.e. make requestFullscreen fail if
>> already fullscreen).
>>

> I think punting on this makes sense. Pages can detect the failure and do
> something sane (make the element take the whole viewport size). If the
> feature becomes necessary we can add it in v2.

I don't think punting on nested fullscreen is a good idea. It's not some
edge case that most applications can't hit. For example, it will come up
with any content that can go full-screen and can contain an embedded
Youtube video. (It'll come up even more often if browser fullscreen UI is
integrated with DOM fullscreen, which we definitely plan to do in Firefox.)
If we don't support nested fullscreen well, then the user experience will
be either
-- making the video fullscreen while the containing content is already
fullscreen simply doesn't work, or
-- the video can go fullscreen, but when you exit fullscreen on the video,
the containing content also loses fullscreen
Both of these are clearly broken IMHO.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us