[whatwg] New attributes would degrade better than new elements

Eric Sh. shedokan1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 15:18:32 PDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela at cs.tut.fi>wrote:

> It is certainly wise to keep <table> as dual (tabular data vs. layout) for
> compatibility, instead of introducing new elements to distinguish them - no
> matter how logical or semantic such an idea might sound.

I heard there are plans to create new tags for layouts to replace the use
of tables as layout elements.

You keep speaking of creating new attributes instead of adding new tags but
then what is the point in adding new attributes instead of simply using
classes which are far more compatible on past browsers?

And WHATWG is working hard to ensure compatability of new additions with
old browsers(the DOCTYPE for example).

So I am positive issues like this one were already discussed and dismissed
for some reason or another, have you tried searching the archives? maybe
there you'll find the answers you are looking for.

Regards,
Eric