[whatwg] New attributes would degrade better than new elements

Keryx Web webmaster at keryx.se
Sun Oct 30 15:05:07 PDT 2011

Hello all

The main discussions missing from this thread is the actual semantic
meaning of especially <nav>.

First of all, the semantic value should be conveyed to assistive
technologies.

Before that is happening I'd say it is NOT implemented in any really
usable fashion by browsers. AFAIK some browsers fail this, even though
they are listed as supporting on caniuse.

That being said, I think some browsers, at least Firefox if memory
serves me correctly, do in fact work with screen readers and dropping
the elements in favor of attributes would require some substantial
rework of those browser engines.

not (2nd point). Making such a distinction based on an attribute sounds
like a recipe for disaster to me.

That being said, AFAIK there is no single browser, server side script,
client side script or other parser known to me that actually honors the
sectioning algorithm in HTML5 completely, so making a spec change now
would not break things up too much.

Thus, nothing is really implemented yet.

styling.

However, I prefer having elements to attributes for nav, header and
footer. My experience as a teacher is that it is preferable to have a
1:1 mapping between elements and semantic meanings.

That was my main point when arguing that <hgroup> should be dropped. It
alters semantic meaning based on position and that is plain wrong.
Adding semantic meaning using attributes is slightly less wrong, but
still flawed.

Even if IE 7 and 8 will persist for a few more years, HTML5 will affect
the web for decades and there is a limit to how much the future should
be affected by mistakes of the past.

--
Keryx Web (Lars Gunther)
http://keryx.se/