[whatwg] Fullscreen Update

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Oct 31 13:41:39 PDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 7:52 AM, James Graham <jgraham at opera.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>> I don't think punting on nested fullscreen is a good idea. It's not some
>> edge case that most applications can't hit. For example, it will come up
>> with any content that can go full-screen and can contain an embedded
>> Youtube video. (It'll come up even more often if browser fullscreen UI is
>> integrated with DOM fullscreen, which we definitely plan to do in
>> Firefox.)
>> If we don't support nested fullscreen well, then the user experience will
>> be either
>> -- making the video fullscreen while the containing content is already
>> fullscreen simply doesn't work, or
>> -- the video can go fullscreen, but when you exit fullscreen on the video,
>> the containing content also loses fullscreen
>> Both of these are clearly broken IMHO.
>>

> Presumably the embeded video could detect that it was already in a
> fullscreen environment and deal with it accordingly. So in theory we could
> wait and see if people just do that before deciding that we have to
> implement the more complex thing. But that might be unnecessarily difficult
> and easy to get wrong. So maybe we should just deal with this now.

As Glenn said, if you're in a cross-origin IFRAME I don't think you can
"deal with it" (unless you establish a postMessage protocol to work with
your container to deal with it). Even if you could, I think telling authors
to use a pile of boilerplate code to make fullscreen work reliably would
indicate a deficiency in the API if there's a reasonable alternative API
that avoids the problem.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us