[whatwg] <comment> and <ad> elements

Shaun Moss shaun at astromultimedia.com
Sun Sep 4 13:41:47 PDT 2011

Hi Jukka

That's an interesting thought about the <ad> element, and making it
simple to turn them off using CSS. This would indeed dissuade authors
from using it. I'm not sure of the best solution, since <aside> still
seems like a kludge, but it may have to do in this case because of the
nature of ads.

Regarding comments...

A suggested semantic meaning for <comment>: /The content of this element
has been contributed by a website user in reference to an article,
discussion topic, status update, image, video, or some other item of
content./

The idea of a "for" attribute for the comment tag is a great one! Yes,
absolutely perfect. But it would be less useful to use the tag
<commentary>. Everyone knows what <comment> means, it's an extremely
frequent semantic meme across the web (see previous post), and I already
have students already complaining that tag names are getting too long.

Re your comment: "I don't think commonness is sufficient for introducing
a markup element", didn't the algorithm used to discover the new HTML5
tags scan billions of web pages and look for common and recurring class
names and ids? Surely commonness is the primary metric by which new tags
have been determined? Your example with <verb> is not a particularly
accurate analogy - I can't imagine there are too many web pages out
there with <span class="verb"> everywhere, necessitating a tag.

Similarly "since any new element would have the problem that some
relevant browsers do not even let you style an element unknown to them -
for example, if you wish to style <article>, you need to teach it to IE
with a little JavaScript. It's simpler and safer to keep using <div
class=article> for some years, no matter what people might write in the
specs." By this reasoning we shouldn't introduce *any* new tags!! You
might like this: http://code.google.com/p/html5shim/

Thanks!
Shaun