[whatwg] <comment> and <ad> elements

Shaun Moss shaun at astromultimedia.com
Sun Sep 4 14:56:07 PDT 2011

Thanks, Jukka :)

I like your thinking about the possibility of a comment being about
another web page, or about an item on that web page. It could have 3
basic forms:

<comment for="#id"> to refer to an item on the same page, e.g. an
article or blog post.
<comment for="url"> to refer to another web page.
<comment for="url#id"> to refer to an item (article or similar) on
another web page.

With regard to the use of <article> for comments, the spec for article
doesn't fit user-submitted comments:

"The|article
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-article-element>|elementrepresents
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/rendering.html#represents>a
self-contained composition in a document, page, application, or site and
that is, in principle, independently distributable or reusable, e.g. in
syndication. This could be a forum post, a magazine or newspaper
article, a blog entry, a user-submitted comment, an interactive widget
or gadget, or any other independent item of content."

User-submitted comments are not independently distributable or reusable,
e.g. in syndication. Neither, for that matter, are forum posts,
generally speaking, although the initial post may be equivalent to an
article. Forum posts would be better marked up with <comment>, since
they're user-contributed content.

"When|article
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-article-element>|elements
are nested, the inner|article
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-article-element>|elements
represent articles that are in principle related to the contents of the
outer article. For instance, a blog entry on a site that accepts
user-submitted comments could represent the comments as|article
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-article-element>|elements
nested within the|article
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-article-element>|element
for the blog entry."

This is a kludge because comments could be related to things other than
articles, and hence not appear nested in an <article> tag. Also, more
importantly: user-submitted comments aren't articles!

"Author information associated with an|article
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-article-element>|element
(q.v. the|address
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-address-element>|element)
does not apply to nested|article
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-article-element>|elements."

Fair enough, but note that comments often contain author information,
i.e. the person who submitted the comment and when. Hence, if we insist
on using the semantically incongruous tag <address> for author
information, it should also be permissible inside <comment> elements.

Have a great day!
Shaun