[whatwg] <comment> and <ad> elements

Odin odin.omdal at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 01:36:04 PDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Shaun Moss <shaun at astromultimedia.com> wrote:
> Yes, but this is not semantic!!! Comments are not articles. They are
> completely different. Comments can appear in reference to things that are
> not articles (such as status updates), and therefore would not appear inside
> an <article> tag - so how would the browser recognise them as comments?

It is semantic.

Comments *are* in fact articles. You're thinking of it in the wrong
way. Article is not a newspaper article, but something that would make
sense to stand on its own.

So, a *nested* article is defined to be dependent on the outer
article, but still it is it's own content and can be syndicated as a
individual content piece that's related to the parent article.

It makes perfect sense and is quite beautiful and doesn't require a
whole slew of tags. It's very nicely done.

And comments /are/ syndicated. Just look at WordPress. When I read
blogs in Liferea, I get the blog posts, as well as each individual
comment loaded from the syndicated comment-stream from that particular
blog post.

<article>
  <h1>HTML5 is great</h1>

  <article>
  </article>

  <article>
  </article>

</article>

Perfect is the enemy of good. Cue in xhtml2. :-)

--
Beste helsing,
Odin Hørthe Omdal <odin.omdal at gmail.com>