[whatwg] <comment> element

Shaun Moss shaun at astromultimedia.com
Mon Sep 5 18:10:49 PDT 2011

Sorry I can't address all your points in this reply, as I'm pressed for
time. But I take your point about /content/ authoring vs. /html/ authoring.

At first I could not find anything refering to the old IE <comment> tag,
which I suspect was used less than <blink>. But then I found this page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535229(v=VS.85).aspx
So I accept that we shouldn't use <comment> as the tag name.

One reasonable alternative is *<cmnt>*, as this is concise, and is an
established abbreviation for a user-submitted comment.
http://www.internetslang.com/CMNT.asp
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cmnt

Although there is a small risk of confusion with <comment>, I doubt this
will be an issue since <comment> is so rare and obscure.

Back to the main point of marking up comments, I offer youtube as an
example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRG5VNNUq_E

Here we have the item being commented on (the video) in a full-width
block, with the lower half of the page divided into two sections,
comments on the left. If user-submitted comments must be <article> tags
inside <article> tags, then virtually the whole page would have to be
inside an <article> tag, or, of course, the user-submitted comments are
marked up as now, using class="comment".

The problem I am trying to solve is a perceived error in the HTML5 spec,
which specifies that comments should be marked up as articles inside
articles. I believe this to be an error for several reasons:

1. Articles and comments are different, and should therefore use
different elements (otherwise the reference to marking up user-submitted
comments as articles within articles should be removed).
2. Comments are a unique type of content, since they are submitted by
users, not site developers or content managers.
3. Robots and plugins can extract comments from web pages more easily if
they have their own element. Comments can then be more easily
syndicated, displayed, hidden, styled, etc.
4. Comments often apply to things other than articles, such as blog
posts, forum topics, social network status updates, images, videos,
links, and other comments, which should not have to be marked up as
articles just so the comments can be marked up as articles within articles.
5. Comments sometimes appear in a different region of the page than the
item that they are referencing, hence the markup for comments should not
have to be contained within the markup of the item.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. Please seriously consider what I am showing
you. I will happily write a proposal for a <cmnt> element for the W3C
and browser vendors, and submit it to you for (haha) comments.

Thanks,
Shaun