[whatwg] <comment> element

aaron miller aaronstevenmiller at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 09:49:45 PDT 2011

Normally I just lurk here, but have been observing this conversation
as I think it's bringing up some important concepts about the web and
the role of HTML.

For example:

<article id="interesting-article">
Interesting article

<article id="self-contained-article">
</article>

</article>

While #self-contained-article is self-contained in that it gives a
user agent everything it needs, and given an internet connection,
transfers it to the user, it's not self-contained in the traditional,
dictionary sense. Because its content is simply not there in this
document.

Additionally, this example points out that in its dependence on
#interesing-article, #self-contained-article *should* retain that
information if it's to be semantically rich enough. While
#interesting-article in fact is an element of the document obtained at
its URL, #self-contained-article exhibits two relationships, one which
is specified by the link it contains, and another, unspecified, by the
URL of the document it lives in AND the #interesting-article in that
doc which contains #self-contained-article.

Just some food for thought...

Aaron

--
Aaron Miller