[whatwg] readystatechange for SCRIPT (Re: Feedback regarding script execution)

Hallvord R. M. Steen hallvord at opera.com
Thu Sep 8 13:41:47 PDT 2011

Siterer Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch>:

> Note that I recently checked in some changes to <script> to expose a
> readyState IDL attribute and to fire 'readystatechange' events, based on
> what IE has implemented here.

Hi Ian,
as far as I know Opera is currently the only browser that supports
both script.onload and script.onreadystatechange, and this is causing
us compatibility problems because many scripts set both and expect
only one of them to run. For this reason, we plan to drop
script.onreadystatechange support. Including it in the spec may not be
a good idea, since in our experience firing both load and
readystatechange events on SCRIPT will be painful. I suggest removing
the latter again.

-- Hallvord