[whatwg] readystatechange for SCRIPT

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Sat Sep 10 12:37:09 PDT 2011

On 9/10/11 11:00 AM, Kyle Simpson wrote:
> So, can I clarify something? You have moved `onreadystatechange` and
> `readyState` off of the <script> element entirely, and onto the HTML
> element?

No.  They've been removed from elements (and windows) entirely.  They
remain on Document.

> In regards to all the concern about double-firing of load detection
> logic, IE9 added both `onload` event firing to their existing script
> element's `onreadystatechange` firing.

In all modes?

> So, I'm not sure why we're rushing to fear these problems. A few years
> ago, maybe this was an issue, but I don't see how there's real evidence
> of current problems. Most script loaders are already immune to this
> problem.

Opera pointed to a specific script loader in the Facebook API that is
not thus immune, as well as one in popcornjs.

Given an existence proof like that, "most" doesn't really cut it for me,
unfortunately.

Or put another way, I would not be willing to implement readyState on
scripts in in Gecko as things stand, without a lot stronger data
supporting the fact that scripts no longer listen for both load and
readystatechange.

-Boris