[whatwg] Proposal for improved handling of '#' inside of data URIs

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Sat Sep 10 19:51:06 PDT 2011

On 9/10/11 10:39 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> On the other hand, this would presumably mostly be a problem for people
>> hand-writing data: URIs.  Any sort of data: URI generator would get this
>> right, as you point out.
>
> (That seems very much like saying "Any sort of SQL query generator would
> get this right."

Yes, it sort of does, especially if you want it to be pessimistic.  ;)

> especially when adopting the proposal so you "normally"
> don't "need to" "get this right".)

I think you misunderstand my position.  I'm weakly against the proposal
in question; the strongest argument in favor of the proposal is that
there is either a current or future deployed base of data: URIs that
won't work without it but do work in either past browsers or some subset
of future ones.

Of course the simplest way to prevent the future URIs thing being a
problem is for UAs that don't follow the URI spec here right now to fix
that, but I haven't sensed much willingness to do that in the past, or
earlier in this discussion.  :(

Given the choice between converging on this proposal and the status quo
in which UAs just do wildly different totally wacky things, I'd pick the
proposal, I think....

-Boris