[whatwg] HTML5 Site Headers

Bronislav Klučka Bronislav.Klucka at bauglir.com
Fri Sep 16 05:21:58 PDT 2011

On 15.9.2011 21:23, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> However, if the text in your header is the same on every page (i.e. a
> site header) then it might not make sense as an<h1>. As far as SEO
> goes, I would aim to make the<h1>  unique per page on the site (which
> I'm guilty of not doing on my own site!) and only use one per page. That
> said, there's no hard and fast rule, so maybe play about over a period
> of a couple of months (nothing is fast about SEO is it?!) and see which
> method gives you better results?

HTML5 does allow you to have as many H1 as you want (assuming of course
there is a meaning to it), sectioning elements create new scope for hX
elements

<section id="mainContent">
<h1>BLOG LISTING</h1>
<article>
<h1>My views on HTML5</h1>
<aside>
<h1>HTML history</h1>
</aside>
</article>
<article>
<h1>My views on CSS3</h1>
</article>
</section>

Is perfectly valid markup. Not only valid, but semantically correct.
The other question is to what level do current ranking search engines
understand this ability. WHATWG hardly has the answer for that, it would
be better to ask on search provider forum how this affects SEO.

Bronislav Klučka