[whatwg] Web Forms 2 Repetition Model—please reinstate on specification

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Sep 19 16:02:39 PDT 2011

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, whatwg at aaabit.com wrote:

> Please reinstate this feature (Web Forms 2 / Repetition Model) on the
> official specification.
>
> My use-case/ justification is explained on this forum thread:
>
> http://forums.whatwg.org/bb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4717
>
> I want a declarative solution for simple repetition (e.g. for scientific
> data forms, for use in high-security institutions where Javascript may
> be disabled); and the ability to write my own Javascript based solution
> for anything else. (I can already do the latter, but the former eludes
> me; most disappointingly considering that this feature was well designed
> and close to being released).

We took it out because it was just far too complicated a solution to solve
far too narrow a set of use cases.

However, there is a lot of ongoing work in this area of research,
especially currently in the public-webapps at w3.org group. I encourage you
to bring up the suggestion there. Unfortunately, coming up with a
declarative solution whose cost-to-usefulness ratio is good enough has
proven over the years to be a rather elusive goal.