[whatwg] Editorial comment r/e summary element

Sergiusz Wolicki sergiusz at wolicki.com
Tue Sep 20 19:03:04 PDT 2011

I am reading:

"Contexts in which this element can be used:
As the first child of a
details<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/interactive-elements.html#the-details-element>element."
My feeling is that unconnected DOM elements in a script are not really an
HTML document but only its building blocks (bricks). Therefore, any
parent-child relationship required by the spec does not apply until the
fragments are connected together to form an HTML document to be interpreted
(rendered) by a user agent. Therefore, if "if any" applies to fragments only
and not to complete documents, then I feel, it should not be present in the
spec.

The problem is that if we add "if any", allowing no parent, then we should
also define what <summary> means if there is no parent.

In short: "if any" should not be added if it is only meant to allow an
element to be represented separately as DOM in a script, because, if I
understand correctly, such representation is allowed for any HTML element.

-- S5sz