[whatwg] HTMLForms: Implicit Submission with {display:none} button

Kaustubh Atrawalkar kaustubh at motorola.com
Sat Sep 24 23:06:11 PDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Glenn Maynard <glenn at zewt.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > The strict answer is that it's up to the browsers; the spec allows
> > browsers to do whatever they think is appropriate per their platform's
> > conventions. So both behaviours are compliant.
>
> Nothing in "4.10.22.2 Implicit submission" seems to allow implicit
> submission to vary based on whether a submit button is displayed or not...
>
> (It also explicitly says that if implicit submit is supported but there's
> no submit button in the form, the implicit submit must still happen.  That
> doesn't sound like it could be followed, since lots of pages are probably
> depending on the absence of a submit button suppressing implicit submit.
> That's just backwards-compatibility, not platform conventions, though.)

My perspective would be absence of submit button (with either
visibility:hidden OR display:none) would give user to create more enhanced
pages that will allow implicit submission like just username & password hit
enter and done and not having mandatory for Sign In button. (just a use
case)

> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> However, it doesn't submit when we have:
>>
>>   - Two text fields with one display:none submit button

> Another outlier: Android's WebKit, at least in 2.3.5, seems to always allow
> user submit when editing a text input, via the "Go" button in the input
> method, regardless of any submit buttons or their state.

Yes, this reminds me more use case for tablets/mobiles where use need to
scroll the page and click on the Submit button instead he can just use the
Go button on the input may be.

> IE9 does implicit submission in the following conditions:
>>   - Two text fields with one visible submit button

Just to add more analysis
Opera - Does Implicit submission in following cases -
* One text field
* One text field with one visible submit button
* One text field with one display:none submit button
* Two text fields with one visible submit button
* Two text fields with one visibility:hidden submit button
* Two text fields with one display:none submit button

Only in following case it does not -
* Two text fields

Just to consider market shares of browsers - Increasing share of Firefox
(more than 40%) and decreasing share of IE (less than 25%) & also for
Mobiles & Tablets there is Opera Mini which is increasing.