[whatwg] HTMLForms: Implicit Submission with {display:none} button

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Sun Sep 25 09:28:58 PDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Glenn Maynard <glenn at zewt.org> wrote:
>
>> This is an authoring question, not a user one; either the page's author
>> intends the form to be submittable or he doesn't.  Having visibility: hidden
>> affect this is even more surprising to me as an author than display: none.
>>

> Why is this authoring question? As an user, I'd like to know whether
> pressing enter in my text field triggers implicit submission or not.

How is that related to the presence or lack of a submit button?  In most
cases there's no correlation.  Where there is one, it's inconsistent,
because authors work around the lack of autosubmit by implementing it
manually; and even when they don't it's still inconsistent, with the strange
dependency on the number of inputs.  (Including hidden ones; because of
this, enabling CSRF form tags in a framework actually changes the UI of
forms.)

It's an authoring question whether the form is one which is submittable, or
one which is, for example, saved automatically on each change, such as some
preference pages.

--
Glenn Maynard