[whatwg] HTMLForms: Implicit Submission with {display:none} button

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Sun Sep 25 09:59:35 PDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Kaustubh Atrawalkar <kaustubh at motorola.com
> wrote:

> Yes, but author can just reduce his scripting by using default behavior
> provided by the browser engine. I agree that user may not know pressing
> enter results in general form submission, but in case of search he does.
> Just we can make it generic instead of just for one/two input elements.

That would have been nice, but there's already interop here: in all four
browsers I tested, two text inputs with no submit button never implicitly
submits.  No browser vendor would change that and break what little
consistency there is, and web compatibility would likely veto it anyway.

See http://zewt.org/~glenn/test-form-submission/table.html, column 4.

But ironing out the bizarre corner cases (eg. columns 7, 8) would be nice,
if compatibility will allow it.

--
Glenn Maynard