[whatwg] Fullscreen changes to support <dialog>

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 21:39:50 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Sean Hogan <shogun70 at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>> Both of your examples would be done by using elements that are
>> children of the<dialog>, and perhaps just positioned explicitly
>> somewhere.
>
> That doesn't sound like a good solution, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.
>
> Look at my blog:
>
> http://meekostuff.net/blog/
>
> At the bottom is a simple site menu. If you click on the "contact" link it
> pops up a dialog with a backdrop that covers the whole page... except for
> the site menu. The dialog can be hidden by a "close" link in the dialog, OR
> by clicking the "contact" link again.

I'm not 100% certain, but I suspect this isn't doable with <dialog
modal>, because that's not a modal dialog. It's a normal dialog; you
just happen to be using a similar visual effect (darkening the rest of
the page) as what modal dialogs typically do, presumably so as to
focus attention on the dialog.

~TJ