[whatwg] Fixing two security vulnerabilities in registerProtocolHandler

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Mon Apr 9 16:17:07 PDT 2012

Why is this so complicated?

It seems clear to me that there is a use-case for sending a message to
your parent frame, but only wanting to do so when your parent frame is
from the same origin as you.

There appears to be to ways of doing so right now:

1. Hardcoding the origin as a literal
2. Assembing your origin together using the various properties on
window.location

1 is a bad solution for libraries or for when your application can run
on multiple domains. For example if you have separate staging domains,
if your site runs both on http and https, or if it runs on both
www.x.com and x.com.

2 is always a bad idea since people are sure to do this wrong. When it
comes to security we don't want people parsing or assembing strings in
order to figure out security contexts. Security contexts should be
made available directly so that people don't shoot themselves in the
foot.

There's currently way too few places in the platforms where we expose
origins, and too many where we expose domains.

/ Jonas