[whatwg] [canvas] request for {create, get, put}ImageDataHD and ctx.backingStorePixelRatio

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Mon Apr 16 13:39:20 PDT 2012

On Apr 16, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Darin Fisher <darin at chromium.org> wrote:

> Glenn summarizes my concerns exactly.  Deferred rendering is indeed the more precise issue.
>
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:
> Could someone construct a demonstration of where the read back of the imagedata takes longer than a runloop cycle?
>
> I bet this would be fairly easy to demonstrate.

Then by all means do :D

> You're asking for significant additional complexity for content authors, with a regression in general case performance, it would be good to see if it's possible to create an example, even if it's not something any sensible author would do, where their is a performance improvement.
>
> Remember, the application is only marginally better when it's not painting due to waiting for a runloop cycle than it is when blocked waiting on a graphics flush.
>
> You can do a lot of other things during this time.  For example, you can prepare the next animation frame.  You can run JavaScript garbage collection.
>
> Also, it is common for a browser thread to handle animations for multiple windows.  If you have animations going in both windows, it would be nice for those animations to update in parallel instead of being serialized.

None of which changes the fact that your actual developer now needs more complicated code, and has slower performance.  If I'm doing purely imagedata based code then there isn't anything to defer, and so all you're doing is adding runloop latency.  The other examples you give don't really apply either.

Most imagedata both code i've seen is not GC heavy, if you're performing animations using css animations, etc then I believe that the browser is already able to hoist them onto another thread.  If you have animations in multiple windows then chrome doesn't have a problem because those windows are a separate process, and if you're not, then all you're doing is allowing one runloop of work (which may or may not be enough to get a paint done) before you start processing your ImageData.  I'm really not sure what it is that you're doing with your ImageData such that it takes so much less time than the canvas work, but it seems remarkable that there's some operation you can perform in JS over all the data returned that takes less time that the latency introduced by an async API.

--Oliver