[whatwg] URL query component

And Clover and-py at doxdesk.com
Fri Apr 20 05:37:10 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-20 09:15, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Currently browsers differ for what happens when the code point cannot be encoded.
> What Gecko does [?%C2%A3] makes the resulting data impossible to interpret.
> What WebKit does [?%26%23163%3B] is consistent with form submission. I like it.

I do not! It makes the data impossible to recover just as Gecko does...
in fact worse, because at least Gecko preserves ASCII. With the WebKit
behaviour it becomes impossible to determine from an pure ASCII string
'£' whether the user really typed '€' or '£' into the input field.

It has the advantage of consistency with the POST behaviour, but that
behaviour is an unpleasant legacy hack which encourages a
misunderstanding of HTML-escaping that promotes XSS vulns. I would not
like to see it spread any further than it already has.

cheers,

--
And Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com