[whatwg] readyState transitions when aborting a document

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Fri Apr 20 06:54:07 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
>  * Is there a way to abort a document load in IE without causing
> immediate navigation away from the document? IE doesn't support
> window.stop().

Yes. document.execCommand("Stop")

>  * Does Web compatibility ever require a transition from "loading" to
> "complete" without an intermediate "interactive" state?  (Both chrome
> and Firefox as shipped make such transitions, but those might be
> bugs.)

I have no evidence to say anything sure here, but I doubt Web compat
requires transitions from "loading" to "complete". What actually
happens varies a lot.

>  * Should the aborted documents stay in the "loading" state forever
> like the spec says or should they reach the "complete" state
> eventually when the event loop spins?

Gecko and WebKit disagree.

>  * Should window.stop() really not abort the parser like the spec
> seems to suggest?

Looks like Opera is alone with the non-aborting behavior. The spec is wrong.

>  * Should reaching "complete" always involve firing "load"?

Not in WebKit.

>  * Should reaching "interactive" always involve firing "DOMContentLoaded"?

Probably.

Demos: http://hsivonen.iki.fi/test/moz/readystate/

--
Henri Sivonen