[whatwg] Footer inside header

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Apr 29 14:12:44 PDT 2012

On Apr 26, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:32 AM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
> <bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 25, 2012 9:20 PM, "Andrés Sanhueza" <peroyomaslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I see no reason a
>>> <footer> as in "textual metadata of a section" can't be inside a
>>> <header> ("lead of a section"). Could this be considered to be
>>> allowed?
>>
>> Do you have a real example where you think that markup would be useful?
>>
>> If user agents provide commands to navigate to headers and footers, nesting
>> them could make navigation confusing.
>
> One was presented in another thread - according to the definition of
> <footer>, it appears that authorship information is most appropriate
> to put there.  But sometimes the byline is placed inside the "header"
> area, which is reasonably marked up with a <header>.  So, it makes
> sense to be able to nest the <footer> within the <header>.

It may be useful to have distinctive markup to identify a byline within a header. But placing a <footer> element inside a <header> element does not seem like the most clear way to do that. I expect most authors would not think to use it that way, and content consumers would have a hard time distinguishing intentional cases of such use from authoring errors.

Regards,
Maciej