[whatwg] MediaController feedback

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Aug 27 17:02:07 PDT 2012

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012, Jer Noble wrote:

> >> The overall purpose of the modifications is to achieve the following:
> >> when controller.play() is called, all slaved media elements
> >> unconditionally will begin playing.
> >
> > I don't think this is a good idea. If the user has paused one of the
> > slaves, and then pauses and resumes the whole thing, the paused media
> > element shouldn't resume. It should remain paused.

(I meant author, not user, here.)

> With JavaScript, it's certainly possible for a page author to play() or
> pause() a slaved media element directly, but that author could just as
> easily remove the media element from the media group / media controller.
>
> > [...]
> >
> > That only works if there's JavaScript doing the removing. The idea
> > here is that this should all work even without any JS, just with UA
> > UI.
>
> With just the UA UI, the behavior would be exactly the same [...]

If you remove the element from the media controller, the media
controller's timeline changes.

It'll be quite common for there to be videos that are not currently
playing, e.g. sign-language tracks. If we change anything here, I think it
would be the currently required UI behaviour which requires all the videos
to start playing when the user overrides the JS-provided controls and just
uses the UA controls.