[whatwg] suggestin a minor addion to the DOM

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Aug 30 10:54:23 PDT 2012

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> You may be misreading this - it's about turning off the "backspace means
> circumstances.  It's not trying to shut down back navigation generally.
>
> I can easily see an editting-heavy page wanting to turn off this
> behavior, as when I was still a FF user, I'd occasionally get accidental
> navigations because I didn't notice that an input or textarea had lost
> focus.

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012, Chaals McCathieNevile wrote:

> Ah. In that case I can see the use case. But I don't think this is such
> an elegant approach either, because the underlying problem is not just a
> specific key but the general behaviour of the browser when you are
> dealing with interactive components (editing is one). This is related to
> the use cases for the aria role "application"...

I haven't added this, but I agree that it's an issue. Really what is
needed is more a "keyboard capture" mode where normal keyboard shortcuts
get disabled so that the application can handle them. However, it's not
clear exactly which you would want. Sometimes you might e.g. want
left/up/right/down to no longer scroll the page, but other times you might
still want it to scroll an overflowing div. You might want the space bar
to not scroll down but instead to fire a weapon in a game, but if the app
scrolls (e.g. as GMail does) maybe you still want it to page down.

I don't know what a good solution is. The current solution is to just
catch the keystrokes you care about and cancel them... that might just be
the way to go for now.