[whatwg] alt and title attribute exception

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Wed Aug 1 05:56:23 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
> When this was last discussed in the HTML WG (January 2012) I opened a bug
> (MOBILE-275) for Opera Mobile to expose the title attribute in our
> long-click menu, arguing that one could not enjoy XKCD without it. I meant
> to report back to the HTML WG but forgot, so here it is. Unfortunately, the
> bug was rejected... quoting the project management:
>
> "Sure it is nice to have, but noone else has it so we will not put our
> effort into this"

Firefox for Android (at least on the Nightly channel) displays the
content of the title attribute on XKCD comics (up to a length limit
which can often be too limiting) upon tap and hold:
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/screen/xkcd-firefox-for-android.png

Not to suggest that XKCD's title usage is OK but just to correct the
"noone else" bit.

> it seems unwise to recommend using the title attribute to convey important information.

Indeed. In addition to image considerations, I think
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#footnotes is bad
advice.

--
Henri Sivonen